Monday, April 22, 2013

Getting Lost

Since I've been here I've spent a fair amount of time at my apartment. Ok, I'm going to level with you; I've spent a lot of time at my apartment. I'm living in a new city, I don't know my way around, and I don't have many things I need to do or places I need to be. I know how to get to Target (I've been there about 8 times since my move), Kroger, and the mall (all of which are less than two miles from my apartment), but I haven't ventured out much further than that. Today I decided that simply wasn't acceptable. I now live in one of the most beautiful places ever, and I haven't seen any of it. So today was the day I decided to get lost.

Growing up my father taught me the simple beauty of getting lost in a place you've never been before. You just find a road, backstreet, or intriguing path, and see where it takes you. All you need is a map (or in this case a GPS) so you can find your way back, and a sense of adventure. So this afternoon, after an uneventful morning of errands in Brentwood, I got in my car and drove. I found a road and followed it, turning on random streets that looked inviting. And I got myself very, gloriously lost. I ended up in Historic Downtown Franklin, which is adorable. Then I kept going, passing an old Civil War Battlefield. (Welcome to the South.) For a while I drove behind a car with a bumper sticker that said "Vivia! Nashvegas," which made me far happier than it probably should have. And I just kept on driving. And you know what? It was wonderful.

So here's something you may not know if you haven't been here: Tennessee is beautiful. I mean a drop your jaw, widen your eyes, awestruck kind of beautiful. I followed these small country back roads that curved around, and just took in the view. And here's what I discovered: Tennessee is rolling hills, miles and miles of trees, picket fences, horses, barns, and breathtaking countryside. I turned on K-Love and just drove for over an hour. And it was so good for the soul. Then I pulled out my handy GPS, plugged in the address of my apartment complex, and headed back.

I can't say I want to spend every day driving around with no idea where I'm going. At some point it loses it's charm, and I'm not sure I could afford the gas. But today was wonderful. And I think tomorrow I might turn my car in the other direction and explore the thriving city of downtown Nashville. I think it will be an entirely different sort of adventure.

Sorry there are no pictures from today's drive. But the thing is, I was driving. And, yanno, safety first. But come visit me sometime and we'll get lost together.

The rest of my day will probably be less interesting. I'm going to hit up the apartment fitness center in a sec. It seems like a better use of my time than sitting on my butt all evening. Then, in keeping with today's theme, I plan on getting lost in a book. I got the new Jon Acuff book that came out today, and I can't wait to read it. It seems like just the thing for me, considering my current life stage and situation.



This reading will most likely take place outside, since it's a truly glorious day. Then I guess dinner, and the continuation of what I did earlier today, which was listening to this song on repeat, because it's awesome and exactly where I'm at right now.


Other than that, there's not much else to tell you. Things are moving pretty slowly, but they are moving. Baby steps toward the completion of my EP, baby steps toward finding a job, and baby steps toward forming some community here. I can't say I've met a ton of people yet, but the ones I have met are great. 

Well, that's all I've got for now. And, of course, as things happen I'll keep you posted. 

By the way, I know a lot of you have been praying for me, and some have been sending encouraging words. I just wanted to take a second to say thanks. I hope you know how much that means to me. I truly have been blessed with the most amazing friends anyone could ask for. And even though pretty much all of you are far away right now, know that I think about you all the time. 

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment